Tuesday, April 7, 2009

HE IS NO ONE WE KNOW

Did you ever experience being lost and have a very familiar looking stranger who looks you straight into your eyes with a smile dancing in his own eyes and give you directions ?

I went out with a friend to look at old furniture, we are both real big fans of furniture that is NOT made in 21st century. And she knew a shop where there was furniture from when the English were in India.

But when we went to where the shop was originally supposed to be... IT WAS NOT THERE. we both look at each other with utter disappointment as its quite normal for shops like this to disappear, run by real old men driven by the passion for what they do.

KYA HUA MADAM JI... ( what happened Madam ?) words rung from behind us, voice like rusted iron,he was a man with used up body filled with pounds and pounds of optimism, that shines through his eyes... propelling so much positivity... That I was dumbstruck. HE to me looked honest, I couldn't guess his age, he could be anything between 45 and 60.

My friend explained the situation to him and asked if he knew anything about the shop, He knew of course... My instinct gave me the answer even before he said yes. He patiently explained how to get to the changed address... it just moved on to the other side...

BUT lanes in generalbazar are extremely confusing and their shakal (facade) keeps changing everyday faster than the lines on the palms. we thank him trying to look confident, as we are both disoriented, and head off...

MADAME ji MADAME ji... again rings the now almost familiar voice... we turn back to see the Strange man walking fast as if the road was made of burning coal, he approached us and took a minute to catch his breath and said "hum ko maaloom tha ki aap shop ko miss karke jaoge" (I knew you'll miss the shop and go past)
And then he said he'll guide us...

So he was following us, my friend found this pretty dicey and was apprehensive of the man's motives... and I was doubtful too for a moment... HE didn't notice any of our perplexity, walking a step ahead to turn and look over his shoulder now and then with a half smile, while talking away about when he first came to Hyderabad in 1960's as a boy...

His Enthusiasm was super duper contagious, Both of us reflected the spring in his step, and walking behind him we both exchanged a knowing glance that conveyed "if he asks for money at the end of it all... we GIVE" simple !!!

Doubts erased LIFE GOT SIMPLER we began to enjoy his company, asked him questions... about the city he came from, reasons for his emigration, about Hyd... his family and how he could still retain the way he spoke north Indian hindi and not speak like a Hyderababi... Our questions were numerous and he had hilarious responses to them all. I liked him more and more.

Ai dekhiye madam ji, aap ka Dukhan... (Viola Madam the your shop) HE flashed us his teeth ranging from off white to yellow... HIS smile is like a lightning that gets embedded forever in the heart. I smiled back at him. felt like a bulb in the sunlight.

We were happy to find our shop and make a friend, My friend rushed into the shop, and I put my hand into my bag to pull out my wallet with my eyes turned away just a second to look at the object I was pulling out, I found my wallet and opened it to see notes various denomination peeping out, I had a moments hesitation before I pulled a 50 out, ashamed to tag his time with such little sum... I looked up to where he was... NOT THERE... WHERE was HE ??? I saw him at the end of the lane walking away as if the ROAD was MADE of COAL, from where I stood it looked like he was dancing away into sunset.

His company that day was priceless... I thought of him as I went to that OLD FURNITURE shop again today.

I am still ashamed to have entertained that people do things as they expect something in return, NO there STILL are some brilliant angels with smiling eyes and rusted Iron voice laced with Chewing tobacco, and THUNDER bolt smiles.

Wish to Spot him again so I could just have chai with him and ask him more questions about his life. AND HIS NAME !

1 comment:

Rachana Vinay said...

Sometimes it's nice to be proven wrong. A lot of us believe that people help only for a favour in return. Vishnu, if you ever meet this man again, do tell him that someone in Saudi also knows him now.